Installing frameless shower screens: Showerpower’s step by step guide
The following instructions apply to all types of shower enclosures.
Before you start: remember that toughened glass is 5-6 times stronger than regular glass but, if put down on a hard surface or hit hard (especially at the corners) it is highly likely to break.
1. Make sure you have the right equipment. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Someone to assist with lifting the glass
- Masking tape
- Tape measure
- Long and short spirit levels
- Wall plugs
- Silicone gun
- Silicone sealant
2. Ensure you have all the glass and components required and that nothing is damaged or missing.
3. Measure the target area and your glass panels, adding the dimension of any sealing profiles, closing posts, channel and setting blocks, head gaps etc. – just to be certain what you have will fit your space. This information will be on the installation instructions you will have received.
4. Install wall brackets or hinges
Get your assistant to help you place the glass on packers or shims to the correct height. Mark the position of brackets or hinges using masking tape and a pencil.
Put the glass to one side and drill the tiles with a suitable drill bit. Typically, ceramic tiles or marble can be drilled with either a tile bit or a masonry bit. If your tiles are porcelain or granite you may need a diamond tipped drill bit. If you use masking tape on the tile where you need to drill your hole, this will significantly reduce the risk of your drill bit slipping.
Once you have drilled the holes, use a good quality wall plug and screw your hinges or brackets to the wall.
With your assistant place the glass on your packers or shims again so your glass lines up with your brackets or hinges.
Securely fix the glass to the components and trim away excess of the packers and remove shims that are under your glass. Fixed panels should be stationery and doors should operate either inward or outwards depending on your preference.
5. Fit and trim any sealing profiles.
6. Once your shower enclosure is fixed and adjusted as desired, silicone seal the gaps between glass and wall, floor, ceiling as necessary using a suitable sanitary silicone and a silicone tool to remove excess and to give a clean and neat finish.
7. Leave for at least 24 hours to allow sealant to cure.
8. Once sealant is cured, invite your friends around to admire your new frameless shower.